With SimplePractice there's no limit to the number of clients you can create and store in your contact list. You can create a client from any page in your account, or you can create a client while scheduling their first session.
Adding a client from the blue navigation bar
- Click the red +Create button at the top of your screen, as shown below.
- Select Create Client. You will be taken to the Add Client page where you can enter basic demographic and contact information.
- Click Save.
Note: If you'll be submitting electronic claims for the client, you must change the billing type from Self-Pay to Insurance. You can set up the client's insurance information later.
Adding a new client while creating a new appointment
- Click the red +Create button at the top of your screen.
- Select +Appointment.
- Within the new appointment flyout, click +New Client, as shown below.
- Fields will display for you to add client information.
- Remember to check Send Intake Form if you wish to invite the client fill out the intake forms and client information via the Client Portal.
- If you'll be submitting electronic claims for the client, change the billing type from Self-Pay to Insurance. You can set up the client's insurance information later.
- Click Add this Client. You'll then be switched to the appointment flyout and you can change any session settings.
- Click Done to save the appointment.
Adding a minor client
Here's how to add a minor client:
- Click +Create or while creating a new client form the new appointment by selecting the Client is a minor checkbox, as shown below.
- This will open a form for you to enter the Parent or Guardian's information.
Note: For more information on minor clients, click here.
Extra tips when adding a new client
- If you have another clinician on your account, you will also be able to set the Primary Clinician for this client and decide if you would like to grant access to any secondary clinicians. Click here for more information on Permissions for Clinicians, Clinical Administrators, and Account Owners
- If you have your Client Portal enabled, you will see the option to Send Intake Documents. If you leave this box checked, you will be required to fill in their name, email, and select the intake questionnaire you wish to send them. The intake portal welcome email will be sent once you create the client. More information about setting up your Client Portal can be found here.
- If you do not wish to invite the client to use the portal, unselect the Send Intake Forms box and you can fill out the rest of the client information yourself. Once you create the client, you can edit and add information to these client fields whenever you wish from the client's Edit Info page.