With SimplePractice, there's no limit to the number of clients you can create and store in your contact list. You can create a client from any page in your account, or you can create a client while scheduling their first appointment.
Adding a client from the blue navigation bar
- Click the red +Create button at the top of your screen, as shown below.
- Select Create Client. You will be taken to the Add a new client page where you can enter basic demographic and contact information.
- Click Save.
Note: If you'll be submitting electronic claims for the client, you must change the billing type from Self-Pay to Insurance. You can set up the client's insurance information later.
Adding a new client while creating a new appointment
- Click the red +Create button at the top of your screen.
- Select +Appointment.
- Within the new appointment flyout window, click +New Client as shown below.
- Fields will display for you to add client information.
- Remember to check Send Client Intake if you wish to invite the client fill out the intake forms and client information via the Client Portal.
- If you'll be submitting electronic claims for the client, change the billing type from Self-Pay to Insurance. You can set up the client's insurance information later.
- Click Add this Client. You'll then be switched to the appointment flyout and you can change any appoointment settings.
- Click Done to save the appointment.
Adding a minor client
Here's how to add a minor client:
- From the New Appointment flyout on your Calendar, select the Client is a minor checkbox as shown below.
- This will extend fields for you to enter the Parent or Guardian's information.
Note: For more information on minor clients, click here.
Extra tips when adding a new client
- If you have another clinician on your account, you will also be able to set the Primary Clinician for this client and decide if you would like to grant access to any secondary clinicians. Click here for more information on Permissions for Clinicians, Clinical Administrators, and Account Owners
- If you have your Client Portal enabled, you will see the option to Send Client Intake. If you leave this box checked, you will be required to fill in their name, email, and select the intake questionnaire you want to send to them. The Client Portal invitation email will be sent once you create the client. More information about setting up your Client Portal can be found here.
- If you do not wish to invite the client to use the Client Portal, unselect the Send Client Intake box and you can fill out the rest of the client information yourself. Once you create the client, you can edit and add information to these client fields whenever you wish from the client's View/edit info page.