With SimplePractice, there's no limit to the number of clients you can create and store in your client list. You can create a client from any page in your account, or you can create a client while scheduling their first appointment.
In this guide, you will find steps for...
- Adding a client from the blue navigation bar
- Adding a new client while creating a new appointment
- Adding a minor client
- Navigating your Clients & Contacts list
Adding a client from the blue navigation bar
- Click the +Create button and select Create Client.
- You'll be taken to the Add a new client page where you can enter basic identification, billing, emergency contact, and communication preference information.
Note: An email address will be required if you have checked the Send Client Intake box. Simply uncheck this box if you do not wish to send the intake to that client.
- Click Save Client.
You'll then be taken to the client's Overview page where you can view, edit, and manage the billing, documents, and notes for the client. Initially, you'll see the expanded view for the items in the right navigation panel:
From the right navigation panel, you can view, edit, and manage the following information:
- Billing Overview
- Add Payment
- Client Info
- Upcoming Appointments
- Communication Settings
- Shared with Client
- Uploaded Files
- Billing Documents
By clicking the +/- button, you can also minimize or maximize the different options in this navigation panel to make sure you're only seeing the information you need at a given time:
Note: If you'll be submitting electronic claims for the client, you must change the billing type from Self-Pay to Insurance. You can set up the client's insurance information later.
Adding a new client while creating a new appointment
- Click the red +Create button at the top of your screen.
- Select +Appointment.
- Within the new appointment flyout window, click +New Client as shown below.
- Fields will display for you to add client information.
- Remember to check Send Client Intake if you wish to invite the client fill out the intake forms and client information via the Client Portal.
- If you'll be submitting electronic claims for the client, change the billing type from Self-Pay to Insurance. You can set up the client's insurance information later.
- Click Add this Client. You'll then be switched to the appointment flyout window and you can change any appointment settings.
- Click Done to save the appointment.
Here are some extra tips for adding a new client:
- If you have another clinician on your account, you will also be able to set the Primary Clinician for this client and decide if you would like to grant access to any secondary clinicians. Click here for more information on Permissions for Clinicians, Clinical Administrators, and Account Owners
- If you have your Client Portal enabled, you will see the option to Send Client Intake. If you leave this box checked, you will be required to fill in their name, email, and select the intake questionnaire you want to send to them. The Client Portal invitation email will be sent once you create the client. More information about setting up your Client Portal can be found here.
- If you do not want to invite the client to use the Client Portal, unselect the Send Client Intake box and you can fill out the rest of the client information yourself. Once you create the client, you can edit and add information to these client fields whenever you wish from the client's View/edit info page.
Adding a minor client
Here's how to add a minor client:
- From the new appointment flyout window on your Calendar, select the Client is a minor checkbox as shown below.
- This will extend fields for you to enter the Parent or Guardian's information.
Note: For more information on minor clients, click here.
Navigating your Clients & Contacts list
Your Clients & Contacts list allows you to easily access each client's contact information and quickly navigate to their Overview page. This list is separated into Active Clients and Inactive Clients. You can refine your searches here by using the Clients, Contacts, Recently viewed Clients, or Inactive Clients filters. You can also sort these lists by first name or by last name.