Our 2-way sync with Google Calendar will allow you to view your non-client events and client appointments in one place. This guide will cover the following:
- Syncing your SimplePractice calendar with Google Calendar
- Using the 2-way sync with Google Calendar
- Scheduling clients using Google Calendar
- Removing the 2-way sync
Note: See Troubleshooting calendar sync issues to learn how to resolve calendar sync issues.
Syncing your SimplePractice calendar with Google Calendar
Important: Make sure to delete any current syncs that you have added to your Google calendar before following the steps below.
- Click My Account > Settings > Calendar under Practice Settings.
- Select Calendar Sync to turn on.
- Select your preferred Name Format from the dropdown menu, then click Save. This will affect how names display on your external calendars.
- Click Connect Google Calendar.
Important: Your SimplePractice appointments will be published to your Google Calendar once you authorize the connection. If you have Telehealth appointments on your SimplePractice calendar, these appointments will also get synced along with their associated secure video links. The secure video link will populate in the event details in Google Calendar which allows you to join Telehealth appointments directly from your Google Calendar.
- Next, you'll see a pop-up message. Click Log Into Google.
- You'll next see the Google login page. If you're currently logged into your Google account, you'll see your account listed.
- If you don't want to use the account listed, click Use another account.
- If you're not logged in, you'll see a Google login screen where you can type in your Google Account Email and Password to sign in.
- Click Allow. Google will ask you to give access to SimplePractice to sync your calendar. Depending on your Google settings, you may see more items in this list.
Note: This step is necessary to make sure your connection is secure.
- You'll return to the SimplePractice Calendar Settings page, where you'll see the message that SimplePractice is connected to your Google Calendar.
- Open your Google Calendar. If your SimplePractice appointments don't appear right away in Google, just refresh the page.
Using the 2-way sync with Google Calendar
After you sync your SimplePractice calendar with Google Calendar, you'll see a new calendar appear in your My Calendars section called "SimplePractice":
You'll also see that all of your SimplePractice appointments now appear in Google in the same color. This is a direct Google Calendar, rather than a calendar subscription. This means that you can make changes to the events in your Google Calendar and it'll reflect in your SimplePractice calendar.
Scheduling clients using Google Calendar
Any appointment you create on your SimplePractice calendar within Google will appear as a non-client Other appointment in your SimplePractice account. To do so, follow these steps:
- Create an event in Google Calendar in the time slot that you'd like to reserve for your client.
- This event can include instructions like "Schedule client for therapy." You'll then see this event saved to your Google Calendar:
- Return to your SimplePractice calendar. You'll see that this event was created as an Other appointment:
- Delete this Other appointment and create a new client appointment in its place that includes all of the necessary details.
- You'll see the new client appointment you created appear in your Google Calendar through the sync.
Modifying appointments in Google
As long as your appointment isn't locked in SimplePractice, you'll be able to move it around in Google by clicking and dragging the appointment in the calendar. This change will reflect in SimplePractice.
Recurring appointment series need to be created in SimplePractice first. You can learn more from this guide: Scheduling, editing, and deleting appointments.
Once you create the series, all appointments will appear in your Google Calendar.
You can still move an appointment that's part of a recurring series in Google. Note that doing this will only move that specific appointment. The appointment will be broken off your regular recurring series, and the rest of the series will remain unaffected.
Removing the 2-way sync
You can remove the sync either in SimplePractice or directly from your Google calendar. Here's how:
- Click My Account > Settings > Calendar under Practice Settings and click on the Red Disconnect Google Calendar button.
In Google Calendar
- In your My Calendars list, click the X icon to the right of the SimplePractice option.
- Click Remove calendar at the bottom of the page.
- Select Yes to confirm, and then click Delete for everyone as shown below.
Note: After disconnecting in SimplePractice or deleting in Google, your connection will immediately break and all of your SimplePractice appointments will no longer appear in Google. You'll also receive an email confirming the disconnection.