How to manually change the billing type for individual sessions
Let's say you discover a client's billing type (either Insurance or Self-Pay) was incorrect, but you don't notice until after the session.
Note: What is billing type? In SimplePractice, a client's billing type can either be Insurance or Self-Pay, depending on how the client pays.
Here's how to remedy this situation:
- Before changing the billing type, you must first delete any invoices associated the session.
- Locate the client (by searching by name or selecting the client name from the left navigation bar), then click the Billing tab.
- Click Edit located below the session amount (hover your mouse over the session to make Edit appear, as shown below).
- Once you click Edit, you can adjust the billing type for this individual session from Self-Pay to Insurance (or vice versa).
Note: If you don’t see Edit as an option, make sure you have deleted any Superbill or Statement associated with this session. You'll need to do this before you can edit a session fee or the session billing type.
How to manually change the fee for individual sessions
While editing the session on a client's Billing Details page, you can also do 1 of 2 things:
- Adjust the Copay amount if the billing type is set to Insurance. Adjusting the copay amount will change the client's portion of the session fee. This is useful if your client is responsible for coinsurance (a percentage of the session fee) instead of a copay (a set amount for each visit).
- Add a write-off for a Self-Pay client if the billing type is set to Self-Pay.
Note: When you set the session's billing type to Self-Pay the full session amount will be charged to the client. You can also write off a portion of the client's responsibility by entering a client write-off here.