A taxonomy code is a unique ten-character alphanumeric code that enables you to identify your specialty (i.e., Speech-Language Pathologist, Physical Therapist, etc.) to an insurance payer. This guide will provide instructions on how to identify your taxonomy code, as well as where that information should be entered in SimplePractice.
In this guide, we'll cover:
Finding your taxonomy code
To find your taxonomy code:
- Visit the NPPES NPI Registry
- Enter your NPI Number into the field
- Click Search
Entering your taxonomy code in SimplePractice
After you've identified the taxonomy code associated with the NPI you're using in SimplePractice, you'll want to make sure to enter that code in the following sections of your account:
- Navigate to Settings > My Profile > Clinical tab
- Enter the Taxonomy Code associated with your individual NPI under Clinical Information:
Our system will automatically populate the taxonomy code you enter in the above section into Box 24J for payers that require that you include it. However, the rendering provider taxonomy code is not required by all payers, which is why it's not visible unless you download the claim form for payers where this is enabled.
Note: The NPI entered in the Clinical tab will populate in Box 24J as the rendering provider NPI.
To populate your taxonomy code into Box 33:
- Navigate to Settings > Billing and Services > Insurance tab
- Enter the Taxonomy Code associated with your NPI under Billing Provider Info
Note: If you're billing insurance as a Group practice, please see our guide How to switch from a solo practice to a group practice for insurance billing?