Submitting an enrollment to receive Payment Reports or file claims through SimplePractice is a crucial step to starting the insurance billing process. During this process, you may encounter an error or a rejection of your enrollment. If this happens, you can refer to this guide for insight on how to resolve the error, and resubmit your enrollment.
In this guide, we'll cover:
Resubmitting your enrollment
If your enrollment is rejected, it's easy to resubmit your application. Here's how:
- Navigate to Settings > Insurance > Enrollment tab
- Click rejected to get started with your resubmission
- Choose Resubmit Enrollment to continue
- Click Yes, I want to resubmit
- Now you'll have the opportunity to update any incorrect enrollment fields. Usually rejections are due to the submission containing a provider NPI, tax ID, or address that's not on file with the insurance payer. At this step, it's important to contact the payer directly to ensure that they have your up-to-date information before you resubmit an enrollment application
- When you're finished updating your enrollment application, click Continue to Signature
- Authorize your signature, and click Continue to Review & Submit
- Review all of the information, and click Submit Enrollment
You'll now see that the enrollment status has updated to Submitted, which means you're good to go. Now you just need to wait for the insurance company to review and process your enrollment. If your enrollment requires additional steps, please review our guide: Why is my enrollment requiring additional steps?
Enrollment error messages
Sometimes rejected enrollments will be accompanied by an error. This section will detail two of the most common enrollment rejection errors and how to resolve them.
If you received this error:
- "(Status 400) NPI XXXXXXXXXX has already been taken for this payer"
This error usually appears when you've tried to submit an enrollment with this payer before via SimplePractice, but for some reason the first attempt didn't go through. We can help you to fix this.
If you submit a Help Request with the following information, we'll be able to fix this on our side within one business day:
- What payer are you trying to enroll with and keep receiving this error message?
- What NPI number are you receiving this error message with?
If you receive this error:
- "The insurer rejected the enrollment due to the provider is linked to another clearinghouse to receive ERAs. Please ask the provider to submit the COV (change of vendor)."
This rejection occurs when you're set up to receive electronic Payment Reports through another clearinghouse, as a provider can only receive ERAs through one clearinghouse at a time. In order to resolve this rejection error, you'll need to submit a Change of Vendor letter.
The Change of Vendor letter must include the following information:
- Please include your name, address, and today's date at the top. Then, include a short paragraph stating the following:
- "Please update my enrollment with [INSURANCE PAYER] to receive Payment Reports through SimplePractice. Below is the requested information:
- TIN (tax ID number)
- Payer Name
- Payer ID: [This can be found in your Enrollments tab]
- Clearinghouse / Company Name / User Id: Eligible, inc. GATE0164"
Lastly, please sign the bottom of the letter and print your name. When you’ve completed the letter, please submit a Help Request. Once we receive that, we'll submit it to our clearinghouse to continue processing your enrollment.
Note: Please only provide a Change of Vendor letter if your enrollment rejection message specifically asks you to submit one, as not all payers require this.