Adding payments in SimplePractice is easy and can be done from either the calendar, from the client's Billing Details page, from an unpaid invoice, or by a client from the Client Portal.
- Cash: Add a client payment made in Cash.
- Stripe Credit Card: Charge the client's credit card using Stripe. A line item will be added to the client's Billing page along with the charge. You can learn more about charging a card through Stripe here: Charging, refunding, and setting up AutoPay for clients with your Stripe account.
- Manual Credit Card: Add a client credit card payment made using a third-party credit card processor. This creates a line item for the payment on the client's Billing page but doesn't run a charge on the card.
- Check: Add a client payment made by check. You can enter the amount and the check number received from the client.
Multiple ways to add client payments
The next section covers all the ways you can add client payments.
From the calendar flyout
- Open the calendar flyout and click Add Payment. If an invoice has not yet been generated for the appointment, the flyout will look like this:
- If the appointment has been invoiced, you'll see the option to Add Payment look like this:
From the Client Billing Details page
- Go to Client Profile > Billing. Here you can select the payment method and select the amount.
- Click on Add Payment to complete the transaction.
SimplePractice will assign that money to the earliest available invoice and change the invoice status to paid.
From an unpaid invoice
- Go to Client Profile > Billing
- Click on any Unpaid Invoice to open up that invoice.
- Once the invoice is open, click Pay.
- Enter the payment method and amount received. Click Add Payment.
- If the full invoice amount was paid, the status will update to Paid. The payment amount will also appear in the billing details list.
Offering appointment packages to clients
You can definitely make this work for you and your clients. You would not want to use AutoPay for these clients as it will charge only the balance due, so instead, what you'll need to do is manually run a charge through Stripe for the payment method you and your client have agreed on.
For example, if the client wants to pre-pay for 4 upcoming appointments at $100 per each appointment, you would charge him/her $400. You would follow the instructions above to add a payment, and the amount will show as a credit on her or his Client Overview page. As these appointments occur, the client's credit will slowly chip away per appointment.
Allowing clients to pay in advance
We completely understand wanting to be paid prior to the appointment for first-time clients and we allow you the flexibility to add payments when you want. There are a couple ways to ensure you are getting paid prior to the appointment.
You will want to create an invoice for the session first, this will help the system apply the payment to that session rather than to see it as a credit to the client's account:
When you create the invoice, you can click Pay in the top right corner of the window (as pictured below) or from any of the other locations to add payments featured in this Help Center article: Adding a payment.
You can also require credit card information for a New Client to be able to book an appointment with you. To learn more about how to do that, see this walkthrough: Requesting credit card information via the Client Portal.
Note: Learn how Clients Can Make Payments Through the Client Portal