There are two types of write-offs you can track in SimplePractice:
- Sessions set with the Billing-Type Client Pays Me, which is used for clients who are paying out-of-pocket.
- Sessions set with the Billing-Type Insurance Pays Me, which is used for clients who use insurance.
Entering write-offs for clients paying out-of-pocket
- Go to the client’s billing details page.
- Locate the session you would like to apply a write-off. Hover over this session to display an Edit link. Click on this link. If the Edit link does not appear, this session is already on an invoice or superbill. Delete these items and you’ll be able to access the Edit link.
- Enter the amount of the session fee you want to write-off, as shown below.
- Click Save.
Tip: As shown below, you can verify that the write-off was applied after entering.
Note: The write-off amount you enter will reduce the portion of the session fee that your client is responsible to pay, causing the client’s overall balance to decrease.
Entering write-offs for insurance clients
- Go to the Add Insurance Payment page.
- Enter the write-off for each one of the sessions that require it from this page. You can either type in the amount in the write-off box or use the circle of arrows so the system auto-populates it for you.
- Click Save.
You will know that the write-off was entered successfully because you will see it on the client's billing page like so: