A superbill, also known as a Statement for Insurance Reimbursement, is a document that the therapist provides to their client for insurance reimbursement. This document is like a statement, but it provides additional information like CPT codes and primary diagnosis codes.
Note: For additional information, this article explains the differences between the SimplePractice billing documents.
Step 1: Enter a diagnosis
- Click your client's name to view the client overview page.
- Click the blue Create button and select Diagnosis and Treatment Plan.
- Select the correct ICD-10 diagnosis code and Save. You can either create a treatment plan now by clicking Basic or Advanced or return at a later date.
- If you used the Load Previous link, be sure to timestamp and Save as New.
Step 2: Create the superbill
Most practices prefer to automate the process of creating and delivering monthly superbills. If you prefer to manually create a superbill, here's how:
- Go to your client's Billing tab as shown below.
- Enter the date range for the superbill you wish to create and then select Superbill. By default, the date range is the last 30 days. If you would like to see a list of all of your appointments, select This Year, or create a custom date range.
- Once you click the billing document you wish to create, a new screen will open that shows your newly created document, as shown below.
Note: You can open a superbill at any time to Print, Email, Download or Delete if necessary. Review this guide to learn more: How to share billing documents with clients.
Important: A date of service can only be on one superbill at a time. If you need to change the date range or session rate/fee for a superbill, you will need to delete the superbill first. Then you can re-create a new superbill following the steps above.