Currently, we can import your client list (demographics, contact info, etc.) We're not able to import financial info, notes, or scheduling data.
1) First, you'll get a copy of your data in a CSV (spreadsheet) format.
2) Next, you'll take a look at your data format it to match our fields. Click here to view the steps to match your data.
2) Then you'll transfer the file to me in a HIPAA compliant way by uploading it to a test client or the Johnny Appleseed account. Don't email the file. Click here for more details.
3) Then I'll review the file to make sure we can import it. There may be a few records I need you to alter so the import goes through successfully.
4) When the data looks good, then I'll be able to upload it to your account.
5) You'll review the imported data that's live in your account. If it doesn't look correct, we can roll back the import.
To make your data match our data fields:
You can download the template by clicking here. If you have any trouble downloading it, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, here are the main data requirements outlined in the spreadsheet template:
1) Make sure that each client has a first name and a last name in separate columns.
2) Make sure that the client's date of birth (and any other date to be imported) is formatted this way: MM/DD/YYYY
3) Make sure that genders are formatted this way in your data:
- Trans M-to-F
- Trans F-to-M
4) Relationship Status fields need to be blank or they need to match one of these options:
- Domestic Partnership
- In long-term Relationship
5) Employment fields need to be blank or they need to match one of these options:
- Full-time Student
- Part-time Student
6) Race fields need to be blank or they need to match one of these options identified by the government for meaningful use reporting:
- American Indian or Alaskan Native
- Asian or Pacific Islander
7) Ethnicity fields need to be blank or they need to match one of these options identified by the government for meaningful use reporting:
- Hispanic origin
- Not of Hispanic origin
8) Insurance payer fields must be blank or they must match the Payer ID listed in SimplePractice. (Example: BCBS of California should be indicated as BC001) Click here to find the correct payer IDs. Payer IDs can vary by EHR.
9) If you have fields indicating the primary insured (insurance subscriber), then there also needs to be a column indicating the client's relationship to the subscriber. These are the options for this field:
10) Insurance subscriber names need to be split into a first name column and a last name column.
11) Emergency contact names need to be split into a first name column and a last name column.
This will take care of most data formatting issues.
To transfer the file in a HIPAA compliant way:
1) Create a new test client (or use Johnny Appleseed if you like.)
2) Upload the file to the test client's file using the document upload feature.
3) Send us the url for the client detail page where the document was uploaded.
When you're ready to get started, send us the link to your test client where we can find your uploaded import file at email@example.com