Whether you're coming from another EHR or from paper and pencil records, we can help you import the clients you already have.
Here is a summary of the process:
- Download the Data Import Template in your preferred format:(CSV or Excel).
- Review the Data Import Guidelines below. These guidelines contain important requirements about how your file needs to be organized. If your file is not formatted correctly, we will return it to you to modify.
- Copy your client data into the Data Import Template.
- Submit your completed spreadsheet to our SimplePractice Imports Team by storing it in the Johnny Appleseed client.
- Contact the SimplePractice Imports Team by submitting a request through our Help Center. Our team is HIPAA trained to handle customer client data.
Note: The first couple rows of the Data Import Template contain explanatory text, and below the header field row (Row 12), we've included a sample row of data. Please replace this sample row by deleting the entire row and replacing with your first client.
Data import guidelines
Before storing your file in the Johnny Appleseed client page, please go through the following list to make sure your file is setup properly:>
- Required fields. All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required, so must contain a value.
- Data we are NOT able to import. The following fields should NOT be included in your data file: client occupation, client employer, scheduling or calendar data, notes and session data, diagnosis data, and billing data.
- Insurance payer IDs. If you accept insurance and have client insurance data to import, you will need to include Payer IDs. A Payer ID is a unique ID number that is assigned to an insurance company for the purpose of transmitting claims electronically. Each company has a specific number, and it must be 100% correct in order to collect on each claim. How do I find payer IDs?
- Clinician. If you have multiple clinicians, you will need to add a Primary Clinician column to your import file that includes the full name of the clinicians, exactly as they appear in SimplePractice.
FYI: If you accept insurance, we recommend spending a little extra time making sure that you have the correct payer IDs in your data import file. This will prevent you from having to spend time later dealing with rejected or denied claims. Plus, when you have correct payer IDs and insurance information for your clients, claims get processed faster and you don’t have to wait to get paid.
Also, check that your file uses the following fields names and responses:
- Gender. Responses include Male, Female, Trans M-to-F, Trans F-to-M, or blank.
- Race. Responses include American Indian or Alaskan Native, Asian or Pacific Islander, Black, White, or blank.
- Relationship status. Responses include Married, Divorced, Domestic Partnership, Separated, Widowed, or blank.
- Employment status. Responses include Full-Time, Self-employed, Unemployed, Full-time Student, Part-time Student, Retired, Homemaker, or blank.
Store your completed file in the Johnny Appleseed test client
Here is the how to transfer your file in a HIPAA compliant manner to the Imports Team:
- Log into your SimplePractice account.
- Locate Johnny Appleseed’s client page by searching for him in the client search bar near the top of the screen.
- Click Store New Document on the right navigation bar.
- Navigate to your CSV or Excel.
- Upload your document.
- Contact the SimplePractice Imports Team by submitting a request through our Help Center to let us know that your file is ready.
Note: Data imports can take 5 - 7 business days to complete. If your file is not formatted correctly, it will delay your import.