Here's how to refund a credit card payment to a client:
- Click Billing on the left side of the home page.
- Click Credit Card Charges, as shown below.
- Find the transaction in the list of payments and place the cursor over the charge to view a Refund link.
- Click the Refund link, then click OK to verify that you want to perform a refund.
- After a moment, you will see a new transaction appear for the refund. The new transaction will have a red Refunded tag.
Note: You cannot refund a payment that is older than 90 days.
Points to keep in mind:
- Once issued, a refund cannot be canceled.
- If you refund a payment that is already part of a Statement or Superbill, then delete the Statement or Superbill and re-generate so your account reconciles correctly.
- If for some reason you are not able to issue a refund directly from SimplePractice, you can do so from your Stripe dashboard.
- We submit refund requests to your customer’s bank immediately. Your customer sees the refund as a credit in approximately 5-10 business days later, depending upon the bank.
- Some refunds—those issued shortly after the original charge—appear in the form of a reversal instead of a refund. In the case of a reversal, the original charge drops off the customer’s statement, and a separate credit is not issued.