If you set the client’s session fee incorrectly or you decide to change the fee for your client, you may need to delete and recreate invoices for these sessions.
For example: let’s say you have a session for $100 and create an invoice for the $100 session. The invoice will display $100 due for the session.
But what if you meant to charge the client $80 for this session? If you edit the session fee and change it to $80, the invoice won’t automatically change to $100.
The system thinks you are making an adjustment so it creates an adjustment invoice with a $20 credit. This way, the system will reflect that the client only owes $80. These additional invoices can be confusing if you didn’t mean to bill that way.
How to Fix this
Let’s walk through the correct steps, which will leave you with a cleaner billing page. For the session that isn’t billed correctly you can choose one of two options:
Option 1. You are correcting the invoice because it shows the incorrect fee and you only intend to bill the client $80. **THIS IS MOST TYPICAL**
- In this case, you should delete the incorrect invoice. Head to the client’s billing overview page, then click on the invoice listed next to the session in the session line.
- This will open the invoice, then click on the red Delete button in the top right corner.
- Next, hover over the session that you want to change. Click on Edit under the session fee.
- Edit the session fee (from $100 to $80). Click on Save.
- Then create a new invoice for the client. You can either click "uninvoiced" in the at-a-glance section or use the +Create button at the top of the page.
Option 2. You want to create an adjustment invoice and you don’t want to delete the original invoice. In this case, you can edit the session fee and let the system create the adjustment invoice. You'll see two invoices for the session: An initial invoice and an adjustment invoice.
- In this case, you just want to edit the session fee. Head to the client’s billing overview page, then hover over the session that you want to change. Click on Edit under the session fee.
- Edit the session fee. Click on Save.
- The system will automatically generate an adjustment invoice listed in the uninvoiced section of your at-a-glance. If you have invoices set to be created automatically, this adjustment invoice will be generated overnight. Otherwise, you can create it manually by clicking on "uninvoiced" in the at-a-glance section.
- You will then see the initial invoice and an adjustment invoice in line with the session.