Note: The full version of this feature is only available with the Professional Plan. Learn more about SimplePractice's pricing and plans.
With SimplePractice's My Notes and Forms, you can easily design and edit your intake forms and progress notes. These tools are great for creating custom forms, assessments, questionnaires, etc.
Topics covered in this article:
- Creating a custom form template
- Creating a new custom form based on an existing form
- How to name your custom note or form
- How to customize your note or form
- How to edit a question
- How to move a question
- How to require a question
- How to delete a question
- Question types
- Texts & Dividers
Creating a custom form template
The My Notes & Forms tab is sectioned into Progress Notes and Intake Forms that are alphabetized to better organize the templates housed here.
Note: For Essential customers, you will only see Intake Forms in this tab.
You can create a new custom template from scratch, select one from the Template Library using +Add to access a preloaded template for editing, or you can modify an existing form in this section.
Here's how to create a new form from scratch:
- Log into your SimplePractice account.
- Click My Account > Settings > Notes and Forms.
- Click Create New Template, as shown below, to create a new intake from scratch.
Creating a new custom form based on an existing form
- Select the form that you want to use as the basis for a new custom form.
- Click the copy icon located in the same row of the one you wish to copy as shown above. A new form will be created with the name “Copy of [NAME OF ORIGINAL FORM]”.
How to name your custom note or form
- Enter a descriptive name in the name field.
- Set the form: for Progress Notes or for Intake Forms in the field next to the name field.
FYI: The following information applies to creating both custom Intake Forms and Progress Notes. Although the steps below focus on customizing Intake Forms, you can use the same process to customize your Progress Note templates (except for including an eSignature).
How to customize your note or form
Adding a new question type or form element is the first step to customizing your form. Here’s how:
- Click the blue Add new button at the bottom of the page.
- Choose a question type or form element as shown below.
- Enter the question text.
- Depending on the question type you've chosen, you can then provide the response options. To do so, click +Answer to add the responses you would like to present to the client. (Note this does not apply to Long Answer, Short Answer, Date Field, or eSignature question types.)
- Enter your first response in the Answer text field.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until you have added all responses for a given question.
- Select Allow one line of response or Allow multi-line response to Single Choice or Multiple Choice question types to allow a client to add additional information for a specific response.
Note: The eSignature question type option is only available for Intake Forms.
How to edit a question
- Click on the question link to open it for editing.
- Change the text in the question field. You can also change the question type here as well.
- Click Save.
How to move a question
When building a form, you may need to rearrange the order in which the questions appear. Here’s how:
- Click and hold the order icon next to the question you wish to move.
- Drag the icon up or down to move the question to a new location.
How to require a question
You can indicate that a field is required for the client to submit the form by checking the Require answer box. The Client Portal will prevent clients from submitting until they fill out those required fields.
How to delete a question
- Click on the question link to open it for editing.
- Click the trash icon to delete the question. This action cannot be undone so make sure to delete questions carefully.
SimplePractice offers several types of questions to choose from, including:
- Long Answer
- Short Answer
- Single Choice
- Multiple Choice
- Date Field
The following table provides details about each question type:
|Long Answer||Use this question type for more open-ended questions that may result in responses of a few sentences or paragraphs.|
|Short Answer||This question type gives clients a single-line text input area for shorter responses.|
| Single Choice (Radio
|This type is used for questions that allow only one response.|
|Multiple Choice (Checkboxes)||This question type allows clients to select more than one response.|
|Dropdown||Dropdown questions are used for single-select questions, similar to the Single Choice (Radio Buttons) question type. The primary difference is that the Dropdown question type takes up much less space.|
|Date Field||This question type gives clients a date picker calendar to select a date.|
|eSignature||The eSignature question type is only available for Intake forms. This question type allows you to require a client’s electronic signature.|
Text & Dividers
SimplePractice also provides you with the option to add form elements. There are three form elements to choose from:
- Paragraph Text
- Section Header
- Section Break
The following table provides details about each form element:
|Text & Dividers||Description|
|Paragraph Text||This form element gives you the ability to add instructions for clients.|
This form element gives you the ability to create bolded section headers for your custom note or form.
|Section Break||This form element lets you add a line to divide different sections of your custom note or form.|