SimplePractice has made switching from another EHR easier than ever, and it only takes 3 straightforward steps. Our Switching Team is here to guide you along the way, and make sure there’s a smooth transition into your new SimplePractice account.
- Step 1: Export client data from your current EHR
- Step 2: Upload client data by using our switching template
- Step 3: Send a Mass Document Request to your clients
- Optional Step 4: How to import notes from your previous EHR
Note: We recommend importing your existing client data into your SimplePractice account as soon as you sign up. This will give you the opportunity to fully test all of the great features that we offer while you are in your 30-day free trial.
Tip: For answers to frequently asked questions about switching to SimplePractice, we recommend this guide: Switching to SimplePractice FAQs.
Step 1: Export client data from your current EHR
The first step in migrating your client data into SimplePractice is exporting it from your previous EHR. For detailed exporting instructions based on your current EHR, please refer to the table below. If you’re unable to find the EHR that you are switching from in the table below, please reach out to us here: contact our Switching Team.
|EHR||Data Export Instructions|
|TherapyNotes||Contact the TherapyNotes Support Team directly here.|
Instructions are provided here.
|Office Ally||You can request the client demographics report by contacting the Office Ally Support Team directly here.|
|TherapyAppointment||To export: From the main page click More > Statistics then select Download Data and press Display Statistics. From here, the first dropdown has what you need labeled as Patients (all demographic information), then click Download Information and the data is downloaded into a CSV file.|
|Practice Fusion||Instructions are provided here.|
|My Clients Plus||Instructions are provided here.|
|TherapySites||For a Demographics Export, call the TherapySites Support Team at 866-597-2674.|
|Therasoft||Contact the Therasoft Support Team directly here.|
|Yellowschedule||To export: On the Contacts page click Export to generate and download a report into a CSV file.|
|Full Slate||Instructions are provided here.|
|CounSol||Contact the CounSol Support Team directly here.|
Step 2: Upload client data by using our switching template
- Download the SimplePractice switching template. Once you have exported your client data, the next step is to download our switching template. Below, we have provided the template in both an Excel and a CSV format for your convenience:
- Input the exported data into your switching template. You’ll want to copy your client data into the corresponding columns in the template. Please be sure to follow the required format provided in the Johnny Appleseed example found in the first row of the switching template.
There are 8 columns listed in the template and these columns show all of the client demographic information that we're able to import for you. Please don’t include client information other than the columns listed in the template. Other client demographic information will be collected later. These are the importable columns:
|Active Client||This is a Required section, and there must be a Yes or a No in the field for each client.|
This is a Required section.
|Last Name||This is a Required section.|
|Nickname||This is an Optional section.|
|Primary Clinician||This is an Optional section, and the clinician's name must exist in the SimplePractice account.|
|Mobile Phone||This is an Optional section, and it must use a 10-digit format (i.e., 999-999-9999).|
|Client/Guardian Email (if minor)||This is an Optional section, and it must include a valid email address.|
|Send Intake||This is an Optional section, and there must be a Yes or a No in the field for each client.|
Note: If you are importing minor clients, be sure to include their guardian information in the Client/Guardian Email column so that the guardian receives the document request email in Step 3.
- Upload your switching file into Johnny Appleseed's Stored Documents section.
- Sign into your SimplePractice account.
- Navigate to Johnny Appleseed’s Client Overview page.
- Click Store New Document.
- Select your completed switching template.
- Upload your document. Upload your switching file into Johnny Appleseed's Stored Documents section.
- Submit a request to our Switching Team letting us know that your switching file is ready to import. Reach out to us by submitting a request here: Contact our Switching Team.
Step 3: Send a Mass Document Request to your clients
You can easily request updated and accurate demographic information from your clients through the Client Portal. Once your client list has been imported, our Switching Team will reach back out to you and provide you with a link to access the Mass Document Request button. This button will give you the ability to send a Mass Intake to your entire imported client list. This will also include the Demographics Form that will allow clients to fill out their demographic information and have it automatically populate to their Client Overview page.
Note: For more information, please see this guide: How to send a Mass Document Request during your Switch to SimplePractice.
Optional Step 4: How to import notes from your previous EHR
There’s no need to worry about being able to keep notes from your other EHR because we offer two HIPAA-compliant ways for you to store and access these in your SimplePractice account:
- Option 1: Keep an archive of all of your client notes by creating a ZIP file of all of your notes that you’ve exported from your previous EHR. Upload this ZIP file into the Business Documents section of your account. This option is best if you don’t plan to access these notes regularly.
- Option 2: Keep an archive for each individual client that you’ll potentially access more frequently by creating a ZIP file of the notes for each client. Upload the correct file to the Stored Documents box in the client’s profile.
How do I create a ZIP file?
- Locate the file or folder that you want to zip.
- Press and hold (or right-click) the file or folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder.
- A new zipped folder with the same name is created in the same location. To rename it, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Rename, and then type the new name.
Tip: If you need any help with Switching to SimplePractice or if you have questions about these steps, please reach out to us here: Contact our Switching Team.