SimplePractice has made switching from another EHR or from pen and paper records easier than ever, and it only takes 3 straightforward steps. Our Switching team is here to guide you along the way, and make sure there’s a smooth transition into your new SimplePractice account.
- Step 1: Export client data from your current EHR
- Step 2: Upload client data by using our switching template
- Step 3: Send a Mass Document Request to your clients
- Optional Step 4: How to import notes from your previous EHR
- FAQs about the Switching process
Note: We recommend importing your existing client data into your SimplePractice account as soon as you sign up. This will give you the opportunity to fully test all of the great features that we offer while you are in your 30-day free trial.
Step 1: Export client data from your current EHR
The first step in migrating your client data into SimplePractice is exporting it from your previous EHR. If you're switching to SimplePractice from pen and paper records, you can proceed to step 2. For detailed exporting instructions based on your current EHR, please refer to the table below. If you’re unable to find the EHR that you are switching from in the table below, please reach out to your current EHR to request an export. If possible, obtain your export in a CSV or Excel file format - this will simplify the process in step 2.
|EHR||Data export instructions|
|TherapyNotes||Contact the TherapyNotes Support Team directly.|
Learn how to export client data.
|Office Ally||Contact the Office Ally Support Team directly to request a client demographics report.|
To export data, click My Profile on the left-hand menu and scroll down to locate the Data Export section. From here you can export data on Clients, Client Contacts, Insurance Policies & Benefits, and more.
|Practice Fusion||Request a full data export.|
|My Clients Plus||Request a CSV download of your data.|
|TherapySites||For a Demographics Export, call the TherapySites Support Team at 866-597-2674.|
|Therasoft||Contact the Therasoft Support Team directly to learn more.|
|Yellowschedule||To export: On the Contacts page click Export to generate and download a report into a CSV file.|
|Full Slate||Learn how to export your client list.|
Contact the CounSol Support Team directly to learn more.
Learn how to export patient clinical data.
Step 2: Upload client data by using our switching template
- Download the SimplePractice switching template. Once you have exported your client data, the next step is to download our switching template. Below, we have provided the template in both an Excel and a CSV format for your convenience:
- Input the exported data into your switching template. You’ll want to copy your client data into the corresponding columns in the template. Please be sure to follow the required format provided in the Jamie Appleseed example found in the first row of the switching template.
Tip: If you're switching from pen and paper records, you can either manually enter your client information into the switching template if you would like to use the Mass Document Request Feature in Step 3. Or, you can manually enter your client information directly into your SimplePractice account by following the steps outlined in this guide: Adding a new client and navigating your Clients & Contacts list.
There are 8 columns listed in the template and these columns show all of the client demographic information that we're able to import for you. Please don’t include client information other than the columns listed in the template. Other client demographic information will be collected later. These are the importable columns:
|Active||This is a Required section, and there must be a Yes or a No in the field for each client.|
This is a Required section.
|Last Name||This is a Required section.|
|Nickname||This is an Optional section.|
|Primary Clinician||This is an Optional section, and the clinician's name must exist in the SimplePractice account.|
|Mobile Phone||This is an Optional section, and it must use a 10-digit format (i.e., 999-999-9999).|
|Home Email (leave blank for minors)||This is an Optional section, and it must include a valid email address.|
|Home Email ok to send email||This is an Optional section, and there must be a Yes or a No in the field for each client.|
Note: If you are importing minor clients that do not have their own email address, be sure to leave the Home Email column blank so that the guardian can be added as a contact. See Adding a contact to an existing minor client to learn more.
- Upload your switching file into Jamie Appleseed's Uploaded Files section.
- Sign into your SimplePractice account.
- Navigate to Jamie Appleseed’s Client Overview page.
- Click Upload.
- Select your completed switching template.
- Upload your document. Upload your switching file into Jamie Appleseed's Uploaded Files section.
- Submit a request to our Switching team letting us know that your switching file is ready to import. Reach out to us by submitting a request here: Contact our Switching team.
Note: If you're importing minor or couples clients on your template, please let the Switching Team know that minors or couples are included when you contact the team to complete your import.
Step 3: Send a Mass Document Request to your clients
You can easily request updated and accurate demographic information from your clients through the Client Portal.
- Once your client list has been imported, our Switching team will reach back out to you and provide you with a link to access the Mass Document Request button:
- By clicking Send Document Request, the system will send an intake request to all clients included in the imported list that have consented to receiving emails from you.
Tip: The consent to receive emails from you is determined by the information entered into the Home Email ok to send email column column in the import template file. Yes indicates that the client consents to receiving emails from you, and No indicates that the client does not consent to receiving emails from you.
Note: The Send Document Request button is a one-time action that is nonreversible. You will want to make sure that your client list is accurate before using this option.
- Once you click Send Document Request, you will see this window and will want to make sure that the Demographics Information form is selected:
Tip: You can send other intake forms at this time as well by clicking the checkbox next to each form.
Note: We recommend that you customize your intake forms and consent documents list prior to sending the Mass Document Request.
- In case you indicated that you do not wish to send the Mass Document Request, or if some clients were missing valid information, you’ll see the number of clients that did not receive a document request highlighted in a red banner notification:
- You’ll be able to see why document requests failed by clicking either View Details or View Failed Recipients in the red banner. You will then see this window and will be able to directly edit missing information from this page, by clicking Edit:
Note: When the Mass Document Request is successful, you'll see a green banner and all of the requested clients' demographic information will populate into their client Overview pages.
Optional Step 4: How to import notes from your previous EHR
There’s no need to worry about being able to keep notes from your other EHR because we offer two HIPAA-compliant ways for you to store and access these in your SimplePractice account:
- Option 1: Keep an archive of all of your client notes by creating a ZIP file of all of your notes that you’ve exported from your previous EHR. Upload this ZIP file into the Business Documents section of your account. This option is best if you don’t plan to access these notes regularly.
- Option 2: Keep an archive for each individual client that you’ll potentially access more frequently by creating a ZIP file of the notes for each client. Upload the correct file to the Uploaded Files box in the client’s profile.
How do I create a ZIP file?
- Locate the file or folder that you want to zip.
- Press and hold (or right-click) the file or folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder.
- A new zipped folder with the same name is created in the same location. To rename it, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Rename, and then type the new name.
Tip: If you need any help with Switching to SimplePractice or if you have questions about these steps, please reach out to us here: Contact our Switching team.
FAQs about the Switching process
Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about the Switching process:
- How much does importing data cost?
- Can I import billing and appointment history for my clients?
- Will the Mass Document Request be sent automatically upon import to all clients listed in the Switching template?
- What if I don’t want to send the Mass Document Request, or I only want to send it to some clients from the uploaded client list?
- Can I use the Mass Document Request button at a later date?
- Can I send Mass Document Request to clients that were not imported but rather added manually to my client list?
- What if I change my mind about who I want to send the mass intake to?
- How many clients can I import?
- How long does the import process take?
How much does importing data cost?
Our Switching process, including importing your client list, is completely free of charge. You can contact our Switching team to learn more.
Can I import billing and appointment history for my clients?
At this time, we are not able to import appointment and billing history for your clients. However, this is something that you're able to enter manually. You have the option to enter all of the past appointments in your calendar, and enter and backdate any payments made in the past towards these appointments.
Will the Mass Document Request be sent automatically upon import to all clients listed in the Switching template?
The Mass Document Request will not be sent automatically upon uploading your client list. If you included a valid email address and marked Yes in the Home email ok to send email column of the Switching template, you'll be able to manually send the Mass Document Request to your clients. This step is completed by you, and our Switching team will reach out to you with further instructions along with a link to access the Mass Document Request button after your import has been completed.
What if I don’t want to send the Mass Document Request, or I only want to send it to some clients from the uploaded client list?
The Mass Document Request is not required, but it is recommended. You can choose to not use this feature simply by skipping Step 3 of the Switching process. This means you will need to enter each client’s information manually or send the Demographic form to each client individually.
If you wish to use the Mass Document Request button only for specific clients, you will want to indicate Yes in the Home email ok to send email column for clients that you do want to send the Mass Document Request to and for the clients that you do not want to send Mass Document Request to mark No in the Home email ok to send email column associated with them. For the clients that you'll be sending the Mass Document Request to, you need to make sure that you include a valid email address in the Switching template when submitting it for import.
Can I use the Mass Document Request button at a later date?
The Mass Document Request button does not expire, and you can choose to use it at any time. However, this is a 1 time button and a non-reversible action, so you'll want to make sure that you prepare all of the Practice Documents prior to using the Mass Document Request button.
Can I send the Mass Document Request to clients that were not imported but rather added manually to my client list?
You will not be able to send the Mass Document Request to manually added clients as this feature is currently only available for the imported client list. You'll need to send a Document Request to each individual client that was manually added separately.
What if I change my mind about who I want to send the mass intake to?
You can make changes in each client’s chart individually prior to using the Mass Document Request. If you marked Yes in the Home email ok to send email column when you submitted the list for import, you can change this manually to No on the Client Info page for that specific client by un-checking Email ok checkbox.
This will update the client’s consent to receiving emails from you to No and the Mass Document Request will not be sent to that specific client.
How many clients can I import?
In case you have more than 500 clients in your Switching template, we suggest that you only import your Active Clients to avoid unnecessary clutter in your client list. If you have a large group practice with multiple clinicians, the same holds true if you have over 4000 clients in your Switching template. You can always add your inactive clients manually at a later date and hold onto their records in your personal archive until then.
How long does the import process take?
Once you securely store your import template and send our Switching team a message letting us know that you've completed this, your client list import will be completed in 1-3 business days.