Typically, the intake forms are completed online through the Client Portal. However, we understand that not all clients use email. In those cases, you can use a paper form (see below) to collect this information, but it will require a few additional steps to get the information needed into the Client Portal.
Follow the steps below to make sure that you collect and enter all the necessary information for the client. If you do not need to print the entire intake packet, you can skip to the form(s) you need below.
In this article:
- Printing the entire intake packet
- Printing a blank Intake form
- Printing practice documents
- Printing a blank payment authorization form
- Printing a blank client demographic form
- Storing the completed documents in the client’s SimplePractice profile
Printing the entire intake packet
The intake forms/documents most customers ask clients to fill out before their first appointment include:
- Intake form (Why are you seeking treatment, etc.)
- Practice documents (Notice of Privacy Practices, Informed Consent, etc.)
- Credit card authorization form
- Demographic form (general contact & insurance info.)
Note: Here is a printable version of the entire intake packet [via Google docs]. You will be prompted to "Make a Copy" in order to edit.
Important: Please read before you print the 12 page document. You will need to add your practice name, address, and logo (or delete the placeholders) on page 1, and add a few additional details on pages 11 and 12. Also, the document is intended for behavioral health practices, so you may need to make additional changes to make it relevant to your practice.
Printing a blank Intake form
If you have created a custom intake form, here is how to print it out:
- Go to My Account > Settings > Notes and Forms.
- Select the intake you want to print.
- Click the eye icon next to the template name to open the preview.
- Click Print (in the upper right corner) to open the standard Print dialog window.
- Select your printer and click Print.
Printing practice documents
In addition to the Intake form, you will want to print out the practice documents (e.g., Notice of Privacy Practices, Informed Consent, etc.) for your client to sign.
- Go to My Account > Settings > Client Portal.
- Select Shared Documents and Files.
- Click View > Print for each document, and this will open the standard Print dialog window.
- Select your printer and click Print.
Printing a blank payment authorization form
To add payment information into the client’s profile, you will need to do one of the following:
- Have the client sign a paper copy of the Credit Card Authorization Form. Here is a template with only the credit card authorization questions [via Google docs] that you can copy and personalize. You will be prompted to "Make a Copy" in order to edit.
- Ask the client for the card they intend to use and enter the card directly into the client’s Overview page.
Printing a blank client demographic form
To get the client’s demographic information into the portal, you will have to do one of the following:
- Provide a paper version (here is a template with only the demographic questions [via Google docs] you can copy and personalize) of the demographic form to the client to fill out (and manually enter this into the client’s Overview page),
- Ask the client the questions and type the responses directly into the client’s profile in the portal,
- Use your (the clinician’s) email to log in to the Client Portal as the client, and then ask the client to fill out the forms on a computer in your office.
Storing the completed documents in the client’s SimplePractice profile
Once your client completes the forms, you’ll need upload copies to the client’s Overview page. You can either scan the documents, or take a picture with your smartphone and email them to yourself. Here’s instructions on how to do both:
- Scan each page.
- Save the scanned pages to your computer.
- Click Store New Document to store the pictures directly in the client’s SimplePractice profile, as shown below.
Use the mobile app to securely take and store pictures:
- On the mobile app, go to the client's Overview page.
- Click Stored.
- Click the +.
- Select either Take photo or Pick a file.
- Take a picture of each page or upload the correct file from your device.
- Click Ok.
The image(s) will now be saved in the client's Stored Documents section.
Note: For additional details to store client documents, here’s our guide: Storing client documents.