At the beginning of the year, you can request the previous year's Tax Report by navigating to Analytics > Reports > [Year] Tax Report.
You can find the answers to frequently asked questions about the Tax Report below:
- How do I generate a Tax Report?
- What information is included in the Tax Report?
- I'm not able to read my Tax Report because it's showing in code. How do I download it so I can read it?
- Can I remove client information so I can share the Tax Report with my accountant?
- Can I download a new Tax Report before January?
- I no longer have a SimplePractice account. Can I get a Tax Report from when I was using SimplePractice?
- I no longer have a SimplePractice account. How do I retrieve my previous subscription invoices?
- Can I remove Jamie Appleseed from my Tax Report?
- I use Online Payments to charge credit cards. Does the Tax Report include my 1099-K?
How do I generate a Tax Report?
To generate your Tax Report:
- Navigate to Analytics > Reports
- Click [Year] Tax Report
After the Tax Report is created, an email will automatically be sent to you that includes the link to download your Tax Report.
This link will be available to use for 48 hours. If 48 hours pass and the link expires, you can generate a new Tax Report from your account.
Note: You'll need to be logged into your SimplePractice account to download the Tax Report from the email.
Note: This report is only available for Account Owners. To learn more, see Team member roles and access levels.
What information is included in the Tax Report?
In the Tax Report, you'll find the information below:
- Total payments collected in the year
- Total expenses in the year
- Client payments
- Client write-offs
- Insurance payments
- Insurance write-offs
Fees for processing credit card charges
- For more information, see Getting started with Online Payments
Credit card dispute fees
- To learn more, see Credit card processing: Steps to take when a client disputes a charge
- Dispute refunds
Insurance claim processing expense
- To learn more, see SimplePractice pricing and subscription FAQs
- SimplePractice subscription expense
- List of all payments recorded in your account
Here’s an example of what the SimplePractice Tax Report looks like:
I'm not able to read my Tax Report because it's showing in code. How do I download it so I can read it?
If you're using Safari to download and open the Tax Report, it may read the file incorrectly as a web page. Instead of clicking the link to download the file normally, we recommend the following:
- Navigate to Settings > Data Export
- Click Ready for download next to your tax report
- Open the downloaded file from your spreadsheet program on your computer
Can I remove client information so I can send the Tax Report to my accountant?
You can’t choose to exclude information from the Tax Report before you download it. However, once it’s downloaded, you can edit or remove any columns, rows, or information on the report.
Can I download a new Tax Report before January?
There isn't a way to create a new Tax Report before January because the report requires data recorded throughout the entire year.
If you need data about your income for a specific period of time, we recommend exporting your payments. To do this:
- Navigate to Billing
- Select the date range
- Click Export payments
- Select either Quickbooks or CSV
- Click Export
This report will list all of the payments you recorded during the date range selected. To learn more, see Tracking client and insurance billing activity.
I no longer have a SimplePractice account. Can I get a Tax Report from when I was using SimplePractice?
When a SimplePractice account is canceled or expired, we no longer hold onto the data from that account. All account data is deleted upon account termination to protect client PHI, which you can find detailed in our Terms of Service.
We're not able to create a Tax Report if you no longer have an account with us because we can’t retrieve the deleted data.
I no longer have a SimplePractice account. How do I retrieve my previous subscription invoices?
If you've already canceled your SimplePractice account, you'll no longer be able to retrieve your previous subscription invoices on your own. If you exported and received your yearly SimplePractice Tax Report prior to canceling, it’ll have a row for SimplePractice subscription expenses:
If you didn’t export your invoices prior to canceling your SimplePractice account and need additional details, such as monthly costs, you can submit a help request for further assistance.
Can I remove Jamie Appleseed from my Tax Report?
Yes, you can remove the Jamie Appleseed demo client from your SimplePractice account, and then generate a new Tax Report to reflect the change. To remove the demo data from your account:
- Navigate to Settings > Demo Data
- Click Disable Jamie Appleseed
Note: For more details, see Can I remove the Jamie Appleseed demo client?
I charge my clients’ credit cards with Online Payments. Does the Tax Report include my 1099-K?
If you accept card payments with Online Payments, you may receive a 1099-K form. 1099-Ks are official tax documents that aren't related to our Tax Report.
Note: To learn more about 1099-Ks, see How to access your 1099-K form.
If you still need information related to your Online Payments account, the Tax Report will include the total amount of processing fees you paid using the Online Payments feature in a given year. You can see this by referring to the Stripe processing expense field.