At the beginning of the year, you can request the previous year's Tax Report by navigating to Reports > [Year] Tax Report.
You can find the answers to frequently asked questions about the Tax Report below:
- How do I generate a Tax Report?
- I'm not able to read my Tax Report because it's showing in code. How do I download it so I can read it?
- What does the Tax Report look like? What information is included in it?
- Can I remove client information so I can share the Tax Report with my accountant?
- Can I get the Tax Report early?
- Can I get a previous year's Tax Report?
- I no longer have a SimplePractice account. Can I get a Tax Report from when I was using SimplePractice?
- I no longer have a SimplePractice account. How do I retrieve my previous subscription invoices?
- Can I remove Jamie Appleseed from my Tax Report?
How do I generate a Tax Report?
Navigate to Reports > [Year] Tax Report. An email will automatically be sent to you shortly that includes the link to download your Tax Report. You'll need to be logged into your SimplePractice account to be able to download the Tax Report from the email.
This link will be available to use for 24 hours. If 24 hours pass and the link expires, you can generate a new Tax Report from your account.
You can also navigate to Settings > Data Export to download the Tax Report after generating it from Reports. The link to download from this page will also expire after 24 hours.
Note: This report is only available for Account Owners.
I'm not able to read my Tax Report because it's showing in code. How do I download it so I can read it?
If you're using Safari to download and open the Tax Report, it may be reading the file incorrectly as a webpage. Instead of clicking the link to download the file normally, we recommend the following:
- Navigate to Settings > Data Export
- Click Ready for download next to your tax report
- Open the downloaded file from your spreadsheet program on your computer
What does the Tax Report look like? What information is included in it?
This is an example of what the SimplePractice Tax Report looks like:
In this report, you'll find the following:
- Total payments collected in the year
- Total expenses in the year
- Client payments
- Client write-offs
- Insurance payments
- Insurance write-offs
- Fees for processing credit card charges
- Dispute fees (for credit card disputes)
- Dispute refunds
- Insurance claim processing expense (fees for submitting claims through SimplePractice)
- SimplePractice expense (monthly SimplePractice subscription fees)
- List of all payments recorded in your account
Can I remove client information so I can send the Tax Report to my accountant?
While you can’t choose to exclude information from the Tax Report before you download it, you can edit or remove any columns, rows, or information on the report that you need once it's downloaded.
Can I get the Tax Report early?
There isn't a way to create the Tax Report early because the report requires data recorded throughout the entire year.
If you need data about your income for a specific period of time, we recommend the following:
- Navigate to Billing > Export Transactions
- Select the date range
- Click Generate Export
This report will list all of the payments you recorded during the date range selected. See Exporting private practice billing data to Quickbooks or Excel to learn more.
Can I get a previous year's Tax Report?
There isn't a way to generate a Tax Report for a previous year. Once a new Tax Report year is available, you’ll no longer be able to generate a Tax Report for a different year.
Tax Reports for each year are ready to download towards the end of the year, and are made available to download until the following year's Tax Report is ready.
It's up to the Account Owner to generate the Tax Report each year in a timely manner.
If you need data about your income from a previous year, you can navigate to Billing > Export Transactions and generate a report there as well.
I no longer have a SimplePractice account. Can I get a Tax Report from when I was using SimplePractice?
When a SimplePractice account is canceled or expired, we no longer hold onto the data from that account. All account data is deleted upon account termination to protect client PHI, which you can find detailed in our Terms of Service.
We're not able to create a Tax Report if you no longer have an account with us because we can’t retrieve the deleted data.
I no longer have a SimplePractice account. How do I retrieve my previous subscription invoices?
If you've already cancelled your SimplePractice account, you'll no longer be able to retrieve your previous subscription invoices on your own. If you exported and received your yearly SimplePractice Tax Report prior to cancelling, it’ll have a row for SimplePractice subscription expenses:
However, if you need additional details, such as monthly costs, and didn’t export your invoices prior to canceling/deleting your SimplePractice account, you can submit a help request to contact our Billing and Payments team to assist you further.
Can I remove Jamie Appleseed from my Tax Report?
Yes, you can remove the Jamie Appleseed demo client from your SimplePractice account, and then generate a new Tax Report to reflect the change. To remove the demo data from your account:
- Navigate to Settings > Demo Data
- Click Disable Jamie Appleseed
Note: See Can I remove the Jamie Appleseed demo client? for more details.