At the beginning of every year, you can request the previous year’s Tax Report. The Tax Report contains billing information for the calendar year, including client and insurance payments, write-offs, subscription expenses, and more.
You can find the answers to frequently asked questions about the Tax Report below:
- How do I generate a Tax Report?
- What information is included in the Tax Report?
- I'm not able to read my Tax Report because it's showing in code. How do I download it so I can read it?
- Can I remove client information so I can share the Tax Report with my accountant?
- Can I download a new Tax Report before January?
- I no longer have a SimplePractice account. Can I get a Tax Report from when I was using SimplePractice?
- I no longer have a SimplePractice account. How do I retrieve my previous subscription invoices?
- How do I remove Jamie Appleseed from my Tax Report?
- I use Online Payments to charge credit cards. Does the Tax Report include my 1099-K?
- Can I download a Tax Report from more than two years prior?
Note: The Tax Report available in SimplePractice isn’t the same as a 1099-K. For more information, including whether you qualify for a 1099-K and where to access it, see How to access your 1099-K form.
How do I generate a Tax Report?
Tax Reports are available for the previous two years. To generate your Tax Report for one of these years:
- Navigate to Analytics > Reports
- Click [Year] Tax Report
After clicking the link, you’ll receive a notification letting you know the report is being generated.
After the Tax Report is created, an email will automatically be sent to you that includes the link to download your Tax Report.
This link will be available to use for 48 hours. If the link expires, you can generate a new Tax Report from your account.
Note: You'll need to be logged into your SimplePractice account to download the Tax Report from the email. This report is only available for Account Owners. To learn more, see Team member roles and access levels.
What information is included in the Tax Report?
In the Tax Report, you'll find the information below:
- Total payments collected in the year
- Total expenses in the year
- Client payments
- Client write-offs
- Insurance payments
- Insurance write-offs
Fees for processing credit card charges
- For more information, see Getting started with Online Payments
Credit card dispute fees
- To learn more, see Credit card processing: Steps to take when a client disputes a charge
- Dispute refunds
Insurance claim processing expense
- To learn more, see SimplePractice pricing and subscription FAQs
- SimplePractice subscription expense
- List of all payments recorded in your account
Here’s an example of what the SimplePractice Tax Report looks like:
I'm not able to read my Tax Report because it's showing in code. How do I download it so I can read it?
If you're using Safari to download and open the Tax Report, it may read the file incorrectly as a web page. Instead of clicking the link to download the file normally, you can:
- Navigate to Settings > Data Export
- Click Ready for download next to your tax report
- Open the downloaded file from your spreadsheet program on your computer
Can I remove client information so I can send the Tax Report to my accountant?
You can’t choose to exclude information from the Tax Report before you download it. However, once it’s downloaded, you can edit or remove any columns, rows, or information on the report as needed.
Can I download a new Tax Report before January?
There isn't a way to create a new Tax Report before January because the report requires data recorded throughout the entire year.
If you need data about your income for a specific period of time, we recommend exporting your payments. To do this:
- Navigate to Billing
- Select the date range
- Click Export payments
- Select either Quickbooks or CSV
- Click Export
This report will list all of the payments recorded during the date range selected. To learn more, see Managing client and insurance billing.
I no longer have a SimplePractice account. Can I get a Tax Report from when I was using SimplePractice?
When a SimplePractice account is canceled or expired, we no longer hold onto the data from that account. All account data is deleted upon account termination to protect client PHI, as detailed in our Terms of Service.
Important: We're not able to create a Tax Report if you no longer have an account with us because we can’t retrieve the deleted data.
I no longer have a SimplePractice account. How do I retrieve my previous subscription invoices?
If you've already canceled your SimplePractice account, you'll no longer be able to retrieve your previous subscription invoices on your own. If you exported and received your yearly SimplePractice Tax Report prior to canceling, it’ll have a row for SimplePractice subscription expenses:
If you didn’t export your invoices prior to canceling your SimplePractice account and need additional details, such as monthly costs, you can submit an email help request for further assistance.
How do I remove Jamie Appleseed from my Tax Report?
Jamie Appleseed is a demo client included in all SimplePractice accounts. By default, Jamie Appleseed is included in the Tax Report. To remove this demo data from your account:
- Navigate to Settings > Demo Data
- Click Disable Jamie Appleseed
Once disabled, you can generate a new Tax Report.
I charge my clients’ credit cards with Online Payments. Does the Tax Report include my 1099-K?
If you accept card payments with Online Payments, you may receive a 1099-K form. 1099-Ks are official tax documents that aren't related to our Tax Report.
Note: To learn more about 1099-Ks, see How to access your 1099-K form.
If you still need information related to your Online Payments account, the Tax Report will include the total amount of processing fees you paid using the Online Payments feature in a given year. You can see this by referring to the Stripe processing expense field.
Can I download a Tax Report from more than two years prior?
Tax Reports are only available for previous two years. Once a new Tax Report becomes available, you’ll no longer have the option to download the report dating back more than two years.
You can download billing information from a year that no longer has a Tax Report available in your Billing page. The Recent activity, Card transactions, and Billing documents pages each have date range filters and export options so you can download information that dates back further than two years.
For more information on using these pages, see Managing client and insurance billing.