If you need to clean up your client's billing because you're unsure of where their balance or credit is coming from, you may want to delete and recreate invoices.
Important: Before you take these steps, it's important to note that invoices cannot be retrieved once deleted. This action is permanent and cannot be undone. If you want to keep a copy of an invoice for your records, we recommend that you download it as a PDF and store it, before deleting it.
Below you'll find the steps to delete and recreate invoices:
- Navigate to the client's Billing page
- Find the invoice you want to delete
- Click the trash can icon to delete the invoice associated with the appointment you're trying to clean up
- Navigate back to your client's Billing page and click Uninvoiced
- Select the appointment you want to include on the invoice and click Create Invoice
Note: If your client had an existing credit or if funds get released from a previously Paid invoice that you just deleted, you'll be taken directly into the Edit stage of the invoice once it's created.
- Update the Issue Date to match the date of service
- Click Save Changes
- Repeat the above steps until each appointment is invoiced individually
These steps may help you identify where a credit or balance began in a client's billing history. It can also help to reorganize a client's billing history by having every invoice immediately follow its corresponding appointment.
If your client is carrying a balance, you can click Client Balance to quickly view which specific invoices are contributing to the balance amount.
To avoid billing discrepancies moving forward, we recommend that you set your invoice settings to generate automatically on a daily basis. This will help to keep your accounting up to date. To learn how to set this up, see Setting up your billing and automations.