SimplePractice gives flexibility in customizing Client Portal access on a per client basis. This guide will go over troubleshooting tips for Client Portal invites, emails, and passwords as well as how to enable client's to pay their balance using the Client Portal:
- Troubleshooting client invitations to the Client Portal
- How to help a client with login issues for the Client Portal
- Using the Client Portal to make credit card payments
Troubleshooting client invitations to the Client Portal
If your client hasn't received their Client Portal invitation because an incorrect email was entered, these steps will help you update and resend the portal invitation to the correct address.
Note: See Getting started guides for your clients to download PDF guides for clients about logging in and using the Client Portal.
To see what email address is currently being used for your client's Client Portal account, navigate to the client's Overview page > Edit > Client Portal tab. Check the Email dropdown under Client Portal Access.
If the client hasn't logged into their Client Portal yet, you'll see a yellow banner indicating that status.
To change the email address used to invite the client to their Client Portal, click the Client Info tab. Update the client's Email and then click Save Client.
Note: The Email ok box must be checked to indicate that the client has given their consent to receive emails.
Then navigate back to the Client Portal tab and select the updated email address from the Email dropdown. You'll see the option to edit a new invitation email and click Send Email to re-invite the client.
If you don't need to change the email address but you want to resend the invitation email, navigate to the Client Portal tab and select Resend email invitation. Then click Send Email.
How to help a client with login issues for the Client Portal
Note: See Sending intake forms and documents to clients to learn about how to invite new clients to the Client Portal, how existing clients can log in, and how to troubleshoot login issues through the secure Instant Sign In feature.
If a client is having trouble logging into their Client Portal, they can follow these steps:
- Double check with their clinician that the email they have on file for them is the correct one
- Check the junk or spam folder in their email
- They should add firstname.lastname@example.org as a contact in their email address book as this is the email address that the Client Portal sign in links will come from
- Contact their clinician to make sure that they've been given access to the Client Portal
If these tips don't help them, they can sign into the Client Portal using a pin code that their clinician can provide. You can find the steps to generating a pin code for the client in the Assisting clients with Instant Sign In for the Client Portal guide.
Using the Client Portal to make credit card payments
To further simplify your workflow, clients can make payments via the Client Portal. Clients will be able to either pay their full balanced amount or their individual invoiced amounts, but not partial or custom amounts. To turn on this feature, follow these steps:
- Navigate to your client’s Overview page > Edit > Client Portal tab.
- Select the Access billing documents option and the Pay a balance with credit card using Stripe option.
- After you've shared an invoice with your client, they’ll be able to see and pay the invoice in the Billing & Payments tab of their Client Portal.
- When they click Pay Now, they will be prompted to enter their credit card information. The client can also check the box for Save Card and this will save that card to their profile for future use.
- Once their payment has been processed, the status of their Invoice will change to Paid.
Note: For your clients to make payments through the Client Portal, you must first have your Stripe account set up. For detailed information, please see this guide: Client payments: Card processing in SimplePractice.