This guide covers the answers to commonly asked questions about Monarch:
- What is Monarch?
- What does the name Monarch represent?
- How does Monarch work?
- Why should I list on Monarch?
- Who can list on Monarch?
- How much does it cost to list on Monarch?
- In what order are profiles displayed?
- How do I allow prospective clients to request appointments via Monarch?
- How do I set up a phone screening service for new clients?
- How can I learn more about prospective clients who request appointments via Monarch?
What is Monarch?
Monarch is an online directory that’s reimagining how therapy seekers connect with therapists.
It simplifies how you can connect with prospective clients, helps you build a cohesive online presence, and is seamlessly integrated with SimplePractice. With Monarch, you can emphasize what makes your practice unique, so you can connect to the prospective clients you can best serve.
What does the name Monarch represent?
Butterflies have long been a symbol of transformation, and also of Psyche, the guardian of the soul in Greek mythology. Given that Monarch’s parent company, SimplePractice, has used the butterfly for its transformational connotations, we felt it important to reference both our roots and the beauty and power that the butterfly, and its unique lifecycle, represents.
Across many cultures, the monarch’s bold, bright appearance has long signaled the return of a soul to its familial home. The monarch’s journey is ultimately a defining part of its existence. To us, the journey to improved mental health bears a resemblance to the monarch’s journey. Therapy can be a key to deep soul transformation and a reminder that brighter days are always ahead.
How does Monarch work?
You can manage your Monarch profile directly from your SimplePractice account. This is where you can edit your profile information, such as your profile picture, bio, insurance and fees, clients served, and more, as well as where you can set your availability for online appointment requests. With SimplePractice account, you can also take advantage of features like our easy-to-use Professional Website and HIPAA-compliant Telehealth.
Once your Monarch profile is live, therapy seekers will be able to discover you based on the filters they select and the information you’ve entered (ex: specialties, insurances accepted, or availability). This helps you connect with prospective clients who are best suited for your practice.
Why should I list on Monarch?
Monarch was designed for ease and simplicity—because it shouldn’t be expensive or difficult to enhance your online presence. What sets Monarch apart from other directory services is its integration with SimplePractice, which simplifies your practice’s needs by integrating your online presence with your SimplePractice account. It also allows prospective clients to view your availability, and request an appointment when they’re ready. This reduces a barrier they face to finding care, while leaving you in control of your schedule.
Our online directory doesn’t have any costly membership fees or an exclusive application process. Monarch is included for free on the Essential and Plus plans.
Who can list on Monarch?
Monarch supports behavioral health therapists—including social workers, marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, psychologists—and substance use disorder counselors. Pre-licensed clinicians may also be listed.
Our team is continuing to work on expanding Monarch’s reach and are looking at ways to support other specialties in the future.
How much does it cost to list on Monarch?
Monarch is included on the Essential and Plus subscription plans for no additional cost.
Note: To learn about our plans, see Which subscription plan is right for me?
In what order are profiles displayed?
Monarch aims to create an optimal experience for people seeking mental health resources and support, while giving therapists a fair chance to attract new clients.
We leverage an ever-evolving algorithm to ensure fairness in how therapist profiles are displayed on the Monarch directory. To learn more, see Improving your Monarch profile ranking.
How do I allow prospective clients to request appointments via Monarch?
First, you’ll want to enable online appointment requests for prospective clients. To do this:
- Navigate to Settings > Client Portal
- If Online appointment requests are disabled, toggle this on
- To learn more about setting online appointment appointments up for your practice, see Enabling online appointment requests
- Choose Yes for Allow requests from new clients
- Select the box next to each new client type you're accepting: individual clients, couple clients, and/or contacts scheduling on behalf of someone else
- Click Save settings
Next, you’ll want to set up your services to allow prospective clients to request appointments online without having to call to book. To do this:
- Navigate to Settings > Billing and Services > Services
- Click the service code you'd like to edit
- Select Allow for New Clients
- Deselect Require Clients to call to request available appointment
- Click Save
Repeat this for each service you’d like new clients to be able to request online.
How do I set up a phone screening service for new clients?
Many clinicians opt to set up a phone screening service specifically for therapy seekers on Monarch. This allows you to get to know a prospective client, while setting expectations and guidelines for your work together. It also gives therapy seekers the ability to request a brief initial consultation instead of a full appointment directly on Monarch, the Client Portal, your Professional Website, or the Appointment-request widget.
To create a new service for initial consultations, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > Billing & Services > Services
- Click Add New Service
Use the dropdown menu under Service to select 00000 - Initial Consultation - No Charge
- You can customize the service code and description as needed
Set the Rate and adjust the Default Duration
- Most clinicians set the Rate to $0 and the Default Duration to 15 minutes
- Select the boxes next to Available for online appointment requests and Allow for New Clients
- Click Save
After creating your initial consultation service, you can add it to your existing Availability blocks, or create new Availability blocks specifically for this service. To do this:
- Navigate to the calendar
- Select the gear icon > Manage availability
- Click anywhere on the calendar to create a new Availability block, or select an existing Availability block to edit
- Click Add service
- Select 00000 - Initial Consultation - No Charge
- Click Save
Note: To learn more, see Managing your Availability. You can also watch our video on How to set up a phone screening service for prospective clients for a detailed walkthrough.
How can I learn more about prospective clients who request appointments via Monarch?
If a therapy seeker includes a reason for visit or message with an appointment request submitted via Monarch, you’ll be able to view this under Prescreener before accepting or declining the appointment.
This information will be saved on their client Overview page as a prescreener.
Note: At this time, there’s no way to edit or delete a prescreener from a client’s profile.