Starting January 1 there is a new federal mandate that private pay clients are to receive a Good Faith Estimate of the nature of services and cost of them. Requirements include:
Here is a list of what belongs in the GFE (which can also be part of an informed consent or disclosure statement) for private practitioners:
- The patient’s name and date of birth;
- A description of the psychotherapy or other service(s) being furnished to the patient;
- An itemized list of items or services that are “reasonably expected” to be furnished;
- Expected charges associated with each psychotherapy session or other service(s);
- Your name, National Provider Identifier, Tax Identification Number, office location where services will be provided;
- A disclaimer that there may be additional items or services that you recommend as part of the treatment that will be scheduled separately and are not reflected in the good faith estimate;
- A disclaimer that the information provided in the good faith estimate is only an estimate and that actual items, services, or charges may differ from the good faith estimate; and
- A disclaimer that the good faith estimate does not require the private pay patient to obtain psychotherapy or other services from you.
This information can be transmitted orally but should be given to the patient as soon as possible.
Does anybody have a good form for this mandate?
Post is closed for comments.