Payment reports are a great way to automate your insurance bookkeeping and save a lot of time. Payment reports are just like EOBs (Explanation of Benefits) or ERAs (Electronic Remittance Advice). They give a detailed breakdown of the insurance payer’s claims reimbursement and indicate which appointment the payment is associated with.
Below, you'll find information about:
- Enrolling to receive payment reports
- Filing insurance claims and payment reports
- Viewing your payment report
- Reviewing the automated bookkeeping record
Enrolling to receive payment reports
If you would like to receive electronic payment reports in SimplePractice, you’ll want to submit an enrollment. This guide walks you through how to do this: How do I submit an enrollment to file claims or receive payment reports?
Filing insurance claims and payment reports
Whether you file claims through SimplePractice or manually outside of your account, payment reports will be delivered to your account once a claim has been processed as long as you’re enrolled to receive them.
Note: If a claim is filed outside of SimplePractice and you’re enrolled to receive electronic payment reports, you’ll want to remember to manually add the insurance payment(s) to the claim.
Read more about filing electronic claims, generating auto-filled CMS claim forms, and adding insurance payments:
Viewing your payment report
You can access your payment reports three ways:
- Go to Reports > Electronic Payment Reports and enter the date range for the payment report you would like to view.
- Go to Billing > Insurance > Claims and click Payment Report to open the one associated with the claim.
- Open the paid claim and click Payment Overview to open the payment report associated with the claim.
Reviewing the automated bookkeeping record
When your payment report is delivered to SimplePractice, your claim's status will automatically update and we will notify you by email.
We take the payment report information and automatically record insurance payments to each appointment associated with the claim.
There are a few ways to review the payment details from the payment report:
- Click Billing > Insurance > Payments to see the insurance payment amount and associated Check/Wire transfer number.
- Click Insurance Payer to view the payment details.
Note: If needed, you can also edit the insurance payment on this screen.
- Open the claim and click Payment Overview > Insurance Payer to open the Insurance Payment Details associated with the claim.