Creating and sharing billing documents will set the foundations for generating income while you run your practice. This guide goes through the ins and outs of the many different ways to do so within your SimplePractice account and how to customize certain preferences for all your client's needs.
With these powerful, time-saving automations, you can also enroll individual clients in AutoPay to automatically collect fees.
Note: Learn more about our different billing documents in this guide: What are invoices, statements, and superbills?
Manually emailing billing documents
After a billing document is created, you can choose to manually email it to your client if you have their email address on file. Click the envelope icon at the top of the screen and the billing document will be emailed as a PDF attachment to your client.
If the envelope icon is not present (or is grayed out) when you create a billing document, it means the client has not given consent to receive emails.
- For an adult client, you can indicate that you have the client's consent by going to the client's View/edit client info page and checking the Email ok checkbox under the client's email address in the Client Info tab.
- For a minor client, the billing document will be emailed to the guardian you select. If the email icon does not appear when creating a billing document, it means the guardian you have selected for the client does not have an email on file. When you add the guardian's email address, the option to email the billing document will be available.
To see who is selected as the minor client's guardian, take a look at the client's info page.
To add this guardian's email address, go to the Contacts tab. The system will send the billing documents to the first email address on file for the guardian.
All of your account level billing automations can be found by going to My Account > Settings > Billing and Services.
- Invoice Settings
This section allows you to choose the appointment descriptions that will display on your invoices and when to create these invoices: at the end of the day, the end of the month, or manually.
Most practices choose to have invoices automatically created at the end of the day. If you collect payment at the time of the appointment, this is the best option to select. If you bill monthly, then monthly invoice creation is the best option for your practice.
Note: Automated invoices are generated at midnight based on your practice's location and timezone.
- Automated Statement and Superbill Generation
Here you have the option to pick which day of the month you'd like statements and superbills to be created for your clients as long as you have billing automations set up.
We recommend choosing the 1st or 2nd day of the month if you collect payments and record them at the time of an appointment. If you collect or enter client payments after the appointment, then you will want to select a date later in the month.
Note: Automated superbills and statements are generated at midnight based on your practice's location and timezone.
- Billing Document Delivery Delay
For your clients who receive billing documents via email or through their Client Portal, you can choose to delay the delivery of these documents. This creates a grace period between when a document is created and when it is sent, giving you time to review the document.
- Billing Documents for New Clients
Here you can determine the default billing settings for every new client you create.
Important: All billing documents created in your account will be accessible to your clients via their portal regardless of the delivery method you select. If you wish, you can disable this feature directly from your client's Client Portal tab.
Client-specific billing automations
To get started, follow these instructions:
- Head to the client's Billing and Insurance tab and indicate if you'd like to create a monthly statement and/or superbill for this client.
- Next, you'll see Email Billing Notifications where you can pick how you'd like billing documents delivered to this specific client. The options are None, Send email with billing documents attached, Send email with link to Client Portal.
- None: With this option selected, the system will rely on you to manually print, or email billing documents. If you have a client who requires no billing documents at all, this is the option to select.
- Send email with billing documents attached: With this option, the system will automatically email billing documents as PDF attachments to your client.
- Send email with link to Client Portal: This option will automatically notify your client via email whenever a new billing document is delivered to their Client Portal. This is the most secure option and the one most practices prefer since no PHI is sent over email. This is the option to choose if you'd like clients to pay online through the portal.
- Click My Account > Settings > Billing and Services
- Scroll down to the AutoPay section
- Select the checkbox next to AutoPay Enabled
- Click Save
If you haven't set up Stripe, you'll be prompted to set up Stripe when you try to enable Autopay. For more information about Stripe and setting up your account please take a look at this guide: Client payments: Card processing in SimplePractice.
To enable AutoPay for a client, you will need to have a valid credit card on file for the client. You can enable AutoPay for a client in two places:
- Billing Settings: If AutoPay is enabled, you'll see a list of clients in your AutoPay settings. If the checkbox is deselected, the client is not enrolled and to enable the client, just select the box and click Save.
- Client Overview: Navigate to the client's overview page by clicking Edit/view client info > Billing and Insurance tab. If the client already has a credit card on file, you can select the AutoPay Enrolled checkbox, then scroll down and click Save.